March 27, 2020
These are challenging times for all of us as we navigate through the complexities of the global COVID-19 outbreak. But, Gates is no stranger to challenges, and we know our customers, suppliers and partners aren’t either. Since our company was founded in 1911, we have successfully managed together through some of the most significant crises in modern history, including World Wars and global economic emergencies. Our experience gives us great confidence that we will get through this one too.
Our top priorities are as follows:
- Keeping our 14,000+ employees and our families and communities safe
- Working with local, country and regional governments to mitigate the spread of this virus
- Continuing to support our customers, many of whom are in essential industries such as transportation, energy, agriculture, construction and other critical industries that must continue to operate during these times
Across our more than 110 offices, factories and distribution centers around the world we have instituted a number of risk mitigation efforts that meet or exceed government regulations and which are based on best-practices we’ve developed throughout this situation, such as the following:Across our more than 110 offices, factories and distribution centers around the world we have instituted a number of risk mitigation efforts that meet or exceed government regulations and which are based on best-practices we’ve developed throughout this situation, such as the following:
- Reductions in employee density and increased social distancing through remote work arrangements, alternate work schedules, staggered lunch and break schedules, closing on-site gym facilities and a number of other site-specific measures
- Enhanced facility cleaning regimens, and providing appropriate personal protective equipment
- Temperature checks for all employees (if allowed)
- Posting important personal hygiene, social distancing and typical symptom reminders
- Requesting employees with high risk medical conditions as defined by the CDC or other health organizations, or family members at home with these high risk conditions to work remotely
- Travel and visitor restrictions
Despite these trying times, in all of our locations around the world, where local regulations permit and customers in essential industries require our support, we are open for business. Please find here a letter of support to our customers and a request to our suppliers to support us during this time. We are grateful for all of the extraordinary efforts that our collective teams are making as we rise to this challenge.
We are a resilient company that’s been through a lot over the past 100+ years. We take great pride in our ability to innovate and adapt, and we’re applying that mindset to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 and protect our employees, while ensuring we take care of our customers during these unprecedented times. If we can help in any way, please reach out to your Gates contact. On behalf of Gates, we hope you stay safe and healthy.